Monday, May 1, 2023

Bookshelf

 

(clicking imbiggens)

My bookshelf.

The top shelf is all my identification books. I use to throw them into a rucksack and head off into the woods with some empty jars, a magnifying glass, and a pair of binoculars, just to see what I could find.

I should start doing that again.

The second shelf is my favorite authors, Kurt Vonnegut and Richard Brautigan, and some cherished religious books. Wavy Gravy's autobiography is in there, too; it's autographed.

If you've never read The Bhagavad Gita, start with Ranchor Prime's translation. He breaks the book down story by story rather than line by line, and it's much more understandable that way.

There are little things on the shelves. A fortune-cookie fortune that says, "Look around: happiness is trying to catch you." Some love notes from Mona. A little picture of Solanus Casey. A wooden cat my aunt gave me.

The photograph was taken in New York in front of a toy store at Christmas. Mona was ill and very anemic at the time, but insisted she wanted to go, so I got her there. I stepped in front of the store so she could take a picture, unaware of the costumed people, and they jumped in at the last minute. It caught me completely by surprise and took me out of fears and into the moment. It was the happiest moment of the trip for me.

Mona is fine now, by the way, but I didn't expect that at the time.

Anyway, I like looking at other people's bookshelves, and wanted to share a part of mine.


1 comment:

  1. this is my favorite blog post of yours . it brought such emotion to me in so many wonderful, beautiful ways. i all ways, always want to be in your life and part of your shelf

    ReplyDelete