Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Belafonte

My Mom was a huge Harry Belafonte fan, and his passing has me thinking of her.

She was very nearly expelled from college when she sneaked out of her dorm room to attend one of his concerts.  (It was a different world in 1954.)  But she learned her lesson- and the next time, she didn't get caught.  😉

When I was little I used to make her laugh by unbuttoning my shirt all the way down to my belly button and saying "Look Mom!  I'm Harry Belafonte!"

She had (and now I have) all of his albums.  They're not valuable.  They've been played so often they're riddled with scratches and pops.  But that's the fate of all great albums.

I liked having him here on earth with us.  It was a small connection to my Mom, and I'm going to miss that.

He had a great run.  I don't think he left anything undone, and left behing a legacy of music, love, and kindness.

I'm going to miss him.

1 comment:

  1. It's me. couldn't get signed in under my usual name. but! i knew your mom loved harry. I understand liking having him on earth. . My first thought when I found out he died? seriously? I thought Mom will be the first one to welcome him at the gate! I love how you wrote " riddled with scratches..the fate of all great albums." homerun on that one. love you!

    ReplyDelete