Thursday, August 23, 2018

That Unending Back-And-Forth

"That's one of the good things about the path. You're never committing yourself to suffering forever. You can always say, 'I'm out of here.' This is not a question of irresponsibility. You're taking your contribution to the troubles of the world and you're removing it. That's a choice that each person has to make for him or herself alone. We're the ones who choose to get involved, so we're the ones who have to choose to say, 'I'm out of contributing to that particular problem. I'm out of that unending back-and-forth. I want to focus on the real problems, the real causes of stress and suffering in life.'" ~Thanissaro Bhikkhu


At first I thought the translator may have taken a few liberties, but it turns out Thanissaro Bhikkhu is an American baby-boomer.  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment