Wednesday, September 7, 2016

My Friend

[embed]https://youtu.be/MxAyCtsKvbc[/embed]

Before Jeffery Dahmer was a serial killer, he was just a kid in school.  His peers all knew there was something seriously wrong, but they were just kids, too, and were not equipped to deal with the problem.  Adults were largely absent from his life-- he didn't make trouble for them, so they never looked too closely at him.

And we all know how it turned out.

One of his classmates, Derf Backderf, has written a haunting memoir of what is was like growing up down the street from Dahmer.  It's not prurient-- the book stops well before the killings began-- but it is disturbing.

My Friend Dahmer is a book that will stick with you.  I recommend it.

The author’s web page is HERE.

1 comment:

  1. ... I am "in" ... the quote isn't coming to me, but this makes me think of the "banality of evil"... and it also makes me think of how we are all somewhat complicit in the creation of some, if not many, of these kinds of "failed-state humans"...

    ReplyDelete