Sunday, August 30, 2015

Euthanasia

[embed]https://youtu.be/Ezyd40kJFq0[/embed]

May you always do for others
And let others do for you



It's the second line that's the hard one.

I don't know how I feel about euthanasia.  I have a basic reverence for life that screams "No!", but…

Our neighbor across the street is dying.  She's just a shell now; her body lives on, but her spirit has already passed.  She may already be gone as I type this.

I know that if euthanasia was legal and easily obtainable she would have taken the tablets herself six weeks ago.  This isn't how she wanted to go out.

But I've also seen the steady stream of friends and family that have come in to take care of her.  It's an honor and a privilege to be able to care for someone you love.  It will be a comfort for them to know that they did all they could for as long as they could.  That's important.  I wouldn't want to take that away from them.

Which brings me back to: "I don't know how I feel about euthanasia."

(Full lyrics at BobDylan.com, by the way.)

1 comment:

  1. ... still, her comfort should be paramount... your neighbor, who obviously meant so much to the people in her life, is agonizing, perhaps unnecessarily, so that others can make a show of their emotions... the subject being seen in such a state, pitied, is not how I would want to go out...

    ReplyDelete