Friday, April 19, 2024

And in that room…

 The poems below are excerpted from Poems From the Sanskrit translated by John Brough, ©1968.

My copy is yellowed and the pages are brittle.  I'm sure the pages are on the verge of falling out, and when that happens I'll have to put a rubber band around it.  It's long out of print, so I can't just buy a new one.

It's formatted very strangely, so it's not always clear who the poet is being translated.  They've all been gone for several centuries, so I suppose it's not crucial.  I did my best to credit them, just the same.

26
No, but look here now, this is just absurd,
The way our famous poets talk of girls
As weak and winsome.  Weak?  Is this a word
To use of those who, with a shake of curls
And with the triumph of a modest glance,
Can lead the very gods a merry dance?
     ~Bhartyhari

54
Those whom the gods would keep
In safety, they protect,
Not as a shepherd guards his sheep,
But by the gift of a wise intellect.

Nor do the gods appear
In warrior's armour clad
To strike down with sword or spear.
Those whom they would destroy, they
                                              first make mad.
     ~Bhartyhari

79
Although I conquer all the earth,
Yet for me there is only one city.
In that city there is for me only one house;
And in that house, one room only;
And in that room, a bed.
And one woman sleeps there,
The shining joy and jewel of all my kingdom.
     ~Śūdraka

87
Dearest, if you will love me true,
What use are joys of heaven to me?
But if you will not love me true,
What use are joys of heaven to me?
     ~Śūdraka

114
My best respect to Poverty,
The master who has set me free:
For I can look at all the world,
and no-one looks at me.
     ~Harşa

No comments:

Post a Comment