Friday, December 1, 2023

Nothing's Free

Alice Cooper put out a wonderful concept album, The Last Temptation, back in 1994.  It’s all about sin, fall, and redemption, and I highly recommend it.  Block out a little time to listen to it in its entirety.

In once scene Satan offers a boy anything his heart desires, and the boy says, “I want to be free.”  After Satan removes his school, his friends, and his family, the boy cries out in shock, “I’m all alone!”

“But you’re free,” Satan answers.  “Isn’t that what you wanted?”

❉ 

I was my father’s caretaker the last five years of his life.  He was somewhere on the autism spectrum, and was obsessive compulsive.  Everything he did had to be done the same day, the same time, the same way, or there was a meltdown.

I would get frustrated and whine that I wanted my life back, that it wasn’t fair that I had to shoulder all of this responsibility.

Now he’s gone, and I’m free.

Isn’t that what I wanted?

No comments:

Post a Comment