Thursday, October 5, 2023

Altered States

 

When I was in my early twenties, my Dad worked in a different city.  He became ill with shingles, and I dropped everything and drove four hours to get to him.  When I arrived I saw that he was clearly in a bad state, so I immediately drove him to the hospital.  He was there for three days.

What I didn't know about shingles was that it is really The Chickenpox Part II.  The virus lays dormant in your body and eventually resurfaces.  I had never had chicken pox, so I was susceptible.  A little over a week  later I broke out with the telltale itchy sores.

Chicken pox is not a problem for children, but it can be very serious for adults.  My Dad should have taken me to the hospital.

He did not.

He left me alone and went to work, and as I laid on the bed soaking wet with fever suddenly the apartment began to shake.  Someone was playing "In The Air" so loudly that the windows were rattling and items were falling off the shelves.  I looked out the sliding glass doors and saw a 200-foot Phil Collins glaring in at me.

I passed out.

When my Dad came home I started to tell him what had happened, and that was when I realized it had been an extremely vivid hallucination. 

It kind of ruined that song for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment