Sunday, July 30, 2023

Bare-Footin'

 

In this article from The Guardian, Michael Peacock discusses living three years in London without shoes:

The snow last December was the first big test. I covered my feet in Vaseline to keep warm; it’s what cold-water swimmers do in winter. It kept them insulated, provided I didn’t stay still for long. Then we had frost. I’d wear gloves and all these layers, but no shoes, and again found it was fine as long as I kept moving.

I’ve been barefoot in London every day since March last year. Living in a city, I love the element of the unexpected. Travelling on the tube barefoot was a novelty at first because there are so many different surfaces: the corrugated escalators, smooth platforms, ridged circles before the yellow “Mind the Gap” line. It’s as if I’ve reached a new dimension most people normally never experience.

You can read the full article HERE.

England must be very different than America.  My concern would not be the cold, it would be stepping in dog poo, bubble gum, sharp glass, and those black pools of sticky stuff that seem to be everywhere.

1 comment: