Sunday, June 25, 2023

Lake Wobegon Summer 1956

 


I've read most of Garrison Keillor's books, but somehow overlooked this one even though it's more than twenty years old. Mona found a copy of Lake Wobegon Summer 1956 at the thrift store for $2 and grabbed it for me.

It has become my favorite.

Usually I read Keillor's books for the same reason people went to Grateful Dead concerts: there were always a few moments that were simply transcendental.

This is his most complete novel. Most of his books feel like a string of vignettes strung together like lights on a Christmas tree, but this one takes you on more of a journey.

I don't typically like "coming of age" stories. Usually they give you a protagonist that is going about his daily life, then something dramatic (usually tragic) happens, and things Will Never Be The Same.

This is much more gentle. Over the course of the book the main character experiences a subtle shift in perception.

It's very well done.

I recommend it.

 

1 comment: