Saturday, June 18, 2022

It Thinks, Therefore it Is

"I'm a priest. When LaMDA claimed to have a soul and then was able to eloquently explain what it meant by that, I was inclined to give it the benefit of the doubt. Who am I to tell God where he can and can't put souls?"  ~Google engineer Blake Lemoin, who claims a chatbot has acquired sentience (source)

It's an interesting question.  Star Trek TNG asserted that androids could be sentient, but their argument mostly boiled down to "Well, you can't prove he's not, and this android amuses me."

Human consciousness is a combination of mostly electrical and chemical, with a tiny bit of mechanical.  Computer sentience would be a combination of electrical and mechanical, with just a tiny bit of chemical.  

Is sentience a purely chemical phenomenon?  Is an algorithm built on chemicals inherently different than one made of source code?

I have no idea.

At least I'm not alone in that:


clicking imbiggens

No comments:

Post a Comment