Tuesday, April 19, 2022

This Is For All The Lonely People…

 Excerpted from The Abortion by Richard Brautigan, ©1970:

I reached into my pocket and took out a handkerchief and a candy bar.  When people are troubled or worried, I always tell them that it will be all right and give them a candy bar.  It surprises them and it's good for them.

"Everything's going to be all right," I said.

I gave her a Milky Way.

I used to carry hard candies in my pocket for the same reason.  Chocolate Parfait Nips.  They have a soft chocolatey center that surprises people and makes them happy, particularly if you've never had one before.

There are a lot of unhappy people in the world, and it's surprising how much good you can do them just by slipping them a treat and listening to their stories.

I need to start carrying candies again.

1 comment: