Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Animal Rights

 

Moby's Animal Rights album was so poorly received that he almost left the music industry.  (He didn't, of course, and rebounded with Play and 18.)

The first time I played Animal Rights I hated it, but that was mostly on me.  I expected something different.  This album has some of his best lush, electronic grooves, which I did expect, but also some crashing, screaming, almost punk-rock songs, which I did not.

It was a little jarring at first, but the more I listen, the more I hear how the two divergent styles play off of and compliment each other-- the same way sweet and salt combine in honey roasted peanuts.

Disillusionment and angst are not new topics for Moby, but the way he expressed them in the song above is.  Full lyrics HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment