Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Fear Not

 "And the LORD, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed."  ~Deuteronomy 31:8

I've read the religious texts of all the major religions and a lot of the minor ones, and "fear not" is a common thread that runs through them all. 

But I do fear.  

I worry about Mona's health, my father's health, my friends health.  I worry about finances.  I worry about plumbing.  I worry about the hoodlums next door, who use drugs and sell drugs openly.  (Yes, we've called the police; No, it didn't do any good.)  I worry about the big things, climate change and fascism that no longer creeps, but leaps.  "Proudly Stupid" is a movement that seems to be growing daily.

Anyway.

My favorite person in the Christian bible is Jesus' dad, Joseph.  He didn't do great things; he didn't preach stirring sermons or walk on water.  He just rolled with the punches.  He came home to find an Angel of the Lord in his tent, and didn't freak out at all.  They just had a little conversation, then he packed his bags for the trip.

I wish I were more like that.


1 comment:

  1. this is beautifully thought-provoking. I don't think you can be a decent human being without worrying.

    ReplyDelete