Monday, April 22, 2019

Joy

I was given a copy of The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World by Desmond Tutu and the Dalai Lama, and I looked forward to reading it.  I admire both of those men, and was sure they had insights I would find helpful.

Their days are striking similar.  Tutu begins his day with five hours of meditation, the Dalai Lama six.  Then a servant brings them a breakfast prepared by a chef.  When the plates are cleared a way, a driver appears to take them where they need to be that day…

And at that point I stopped reading.  These are not lives I can emulate.

I'm going to wait and read the book by the waiter, the driver, or the cook.

2 comments:

  1. ...it is long road that they walked to get to that point, particularly that of Tutu, we seek to mine for information that we can add to our own particular transformation... as to the Dali Lama... when one is chosen and trained exclusively for the purpose of being who he is... I question whether or not he is an individual or a collection of consciousness that represents a particular philosophy or way of being...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an interesting way to look at him.

    ReplyDelete