Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Tears

"If you have to cry, do it in the shower where no one can hear you and no one can see you."  That's the advice that my mother gave me when I was a little boy.

You should know, before passing judgement, that her own mother died when she was only three years old, and her father, a railroad engineer, was seldom home. She was forced to grow up faster than a child should; life was tough, she had to be tougher.

So, as awful as that advice was, you can see where it came from.

Of course, as a child we all take things at face value. I learned to suppress emotions, and for the most part I still do it well. I seldom cry when things are sad.

But I've always been prone to tears when things are beautiful.

Two things that always get to me are Lucian Pavarotti's version of Nessun Dorma, and the song below:

[embed]https://youtu.be/lwcJQIyNZQM[/embed]

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how beautiful! I have also tried to "hide" emotions, but I'm no good at it AT ALL. I've been made fun of for being so "emotional." But! As an adult, I welcome the tears . I know that if I hold them in, they'll kill me LATER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...tears of beauty, particularly when it comes with a song, a person cannot be held responsible for... the universe runs on a frequency and music definitely is a frequency that is a key to life... you can be no more responsible for that reaction than you had responsibility for being born...

    ReplyDelete