Monday, February 4, 2019

"Why are all these idiots mad?"

“I don’t play colleges, but I hear a lot of people tell me, ‘Don’t go near colleges. They’re so PC.’” ~Jerry Seinfeld (source)

There are a few things wrong with that statement.

First, second-hand bigotry is the worst.  "I don't know any of these people, but I hear they're just awful,"  is not something a reasonable person would ever say.

Second, and more importantly, whenever I hear someone complain about "political correctness" it raises a red flag.  More often than not these are people who have said something offensive, and instead of taking responsibility for it they would rather cast themselves as Fearless Defenders of Free Speech™.

That's easier on their egos than admitting that they may have been acting like jerks.

 

1 comment:

  1. ...great observation... it is an extension of privilege that they feel ostracized by their behavior that once was okay but now there is a "new rule, can't do that anymore"... and it really isn't a new rule as much as it is spiritual growth and you either "have it or you don't"...

    ReplyDelete