Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Miss Dietrich, If You're Nasty

An excerpt from newsman H. Allen Smith's autobiography Low Man On A Totem Pole, ©1941:

One evening I went to interview Marlene Dietrich.  I walked into her apartment at the Waldorf-Astoria, and there she stood, poured into an evening gown, more beautiful than she had ever been on the screen.  Even the surroundings were beautiful, and for a moment I was whipped.  I was overwhelmed by beauty, and my brain wouldn't give me anything to say.  Then I took hold of myself.  It was utterly necessary that I bring this situation down to earth.  She sat down, and I sat down and I said:


"Miss Dietrich, what would you say if I asked you to pull up your dress and let me see your legs?"


She didn't bat an eye.


"Why don't you ask me?" she said.


"All right," I said, "pull up your dress and let me see your legs."


"No."


Mr. Smith, Miss Dietrich eats punks like you for breakfast.

1 comment: