Tuesday, May 3, 2016

All sense of proportion

[embed]https://youtu.be/QAK0KXEpF8U[/embed]

Via Ron Davison, who maintains a blog HERE.

I have a knee-jerk reaction against the term "political correctness." In my life, I've never heard anyone denied their right to say unkind things-- but I've heard a lot of people say unkind things followed by "I guess I'm not 'politically correct,' hur-hur, hur-hur," apparently believing that the suffix converts them from bigots and bullies into Fearless Defenders of Free Speech.

I gave this a chance because I trusted Ron's judgement, and I'm glad I did because it's brilliant.

(He also pointed out that I've been mispronouncing "Cleese" for my entire life.  It's not pronounced the way you think it is.)

1 comment:

  1. ... I will have to do a thorough investigation of Ron's blog later... but John Cleese is spot on... in fact, my immediate supervisor and myself often lament the dearth of insightful "race humor"... even at the expense of white people, because you LEARNED so much about not just others but yourself...

    Political correctness no longer does what it was intended... to protect those groups to whom harm was done by the unspoken ignorance that had long been accepted and has been another way of quieting dissent and as a tool for herding groups of people into unintended consequences...

    ReplyDelete