Friday, November 13, 2015

Beauty

An excerpt from The Autobiography of William Allen White, published in 1946:

Later in life, when I saw beautiful architecture, I looked at it with the same eagerness and happiness that had come whenever I had encountered beauty.  It was many years before I realized fully that the quickening impulse of eager satisfaction which comes to one who sees beauty is the same kind of gladness, no mater what form beauty takes-- poetry, philosophy, music, architecture, love, and delight.  Something in the structure of man's mind and heart vibrates with a profound sense of well-being to all the manifestations of beauty that the senses encounter.  I did not know it when I was a boy, but I am sure now that the beauty of whatever kind one feels is God-- the Universal Soul of things-- trying to speak the common language to man's heart.

1 comment:

  1. The universal soul of things... now that is an image I could get behind..! You are very adept at the selections you choose in your readings..!

    ReplyDelete