Wednesday, September 23, 2015

On You

I wish someone had steered me towards the Mary Poppins series of books when I was younger.  I'm reading them for the first time well into middle-age, and I could have been enjoying them for decades.

Excerpt from Mary Poppins Opens the Door by P.L. Travers, ©1943:

Michael looked at her solemnly.


"Shall we, too, Mary Poppins?" he asked, blurting out the question.


"Shall you, too, what?" she inquired with a sniff.


"Live happily ever afterwards?" he said eagerly.


A smile, half sad, half tender, played faintly around her mouth.


"Perhaps," she said thoughtfully.  "It all depends."


"What on, Mary Poppins?"


"On you," she said, quietly, as she carried the crumpets to the fire…


 

2 comments:

  1. ...but would you have understood them in full..? I don't think that I would have, not because I would be unable to grasp its depths, but because it would have been unexpected for me to have found anything in them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched MARY POPPINS for the first time a couple of weeks ago...and loved it dearly! And this book excerpt is just divine! And I wholeheartedly agree with it!

    ReplyDelete