Thursday, August 13, 2015

Lover Man

[embed]https://youtu.be/iBanjMmV6zQ[/embed]

Excerpt from On The Road by Jack Kerouac, ©1955:

I huddled in the cold, rainy wind and watched everything across the sad vineyards of October in the valley.  My mind was filled with that great song "Lover Man" as Billie Holiday sings it; I had my own concert in the bushes.  "Someday we'll meet, and you'll dry all my tears, and whisper sweet, little things in my ear, hugging and a-kissing, oh what we've been missing, Lover Man, oh where can you be…"  It's not the words so much as the great harmonic tune and the way Billie sings it, like a woman stroking her man's hair in soft lamp-light.  The winds howled.  I got cold.


(Full song lyrics HERE.)

2 comments:

  1. great song, from a great woman, remembered by a real man, amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and of course, Kerouac's words only adds to the significance of Lady Day's voice, gives greater depths to those lyrics...

    ReplyDelete