Friday, July 31, 2015

I'll see you on the other side

Our culture doesn’t accept death gracefully.

Dylan Thomas famously advised:
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Death notices frequently contain the phrase “lost his fight,” as if death were a defeat, a moral failure of some sort.

I watched our friend and neighbor being loaded into an ambulance this afternoon.  She had wanted to die at home, but I guess things changed.  I could see the twinkle was gone from her eyes already, the spark of exuberance that defined her is gone.

She had a good life.  She’s ready to go.

And I hope she goes gentle into that good night.

3 comments:

  1. I do not know you, nor do I know your neighbor.

    But I hope she does too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless her. And bless you. I am glad you didn't have to "wonder" if she was taken from her home. I believe you were meant to look out the window at that particular moment because she wanted to say goodbye to you, Thomas. You were very kind to this "stranger" who became a friend and someone you will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... this is an inspiration for future consideration... but I would hope that she does go gently into a very good, calm and beautiful summer's night...

    ReplyDelete