Sunday, September 11, 2022

But I Cannot Choose

Excerpted from the article "The complicated truth of post-traumatic growth" by David Robson:

As one example, they cited the words of Rabbi Harold Kushner, describing his life after the death of his son:

I am a more sensitive person, a more effective pastor, a more sympathetic counsellor because of Aaron's life and death than I would ever have been without it. And I would give up all of those gains in a second if I could have my son back. If I could choose, I would forego all of the spiritual growth and depth which has come my way because of our experiences... But I cannot choose.

The gist of the article is that, although traumatic experiences change people, it is still an open question whether that change is an improvement or a detriment.

You can read the article at BBC, HERE.

The quote above reminded me of a line in the song Me and Bobby McGee, "I'd trade all of my tomorrows for one single yesterday."

 Full lyrics HERE.

1 comment:

  1. oh, so so beautiful. there is a song titled, "ONE MORE DAY, " which evokes that emotion in me.

    ReplyDelete