Friday, November 4, 2016

Tremors

When I worked at the nursing home, there was a woman there who suffered from tremors.  At random times her right hand would begin shaking violently, but she never let it bother her.  "Oh, that's God reminding me to say my prayers!" she'd say, then pause, find something to be grateful for, and say a quick prayer thanking God for bringing it into her life.

I was very impressed with her ability to turn a negative into a positive, and I've tried to incorporate that into my own life.  Whenever I'm going about my daily routine and something interrupts me- a car honking, a baby screaming, a phone ringing- I try to use that as a signal to stop, find something to be appreciative of, and be thankful for it.

As Ferris Bueller reminded us, "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."  It's good to have something pull us back to the present moment, before too much of our lives goes flashing by.

I'm not as advanced spiritually as the woman in the nursing home was.  I still get fed up sometimes.

But I'm working on it.

3 comments:

  1. I try so hard to do these things. It's a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice strategy. I work hard on just walking away, much less reminding me of the good things in my life. (My blog reminds me of the best things in my life.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...we all can use this perspective and approach... thanks for reminding me that I have not said my thanks enough...

    ReplyDelete